Monday, August 21, 2006

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Do you know what I hate? I hate women who quiz each other endlessly about their husbands’ domestic skills, or lack thereof, with the winner being those who have the most Neanderthal, couldn’t-find-the-oven-with-a-map-and-a-guide-dog bloke. For starters, I bet most of these men are not even as bad as they sound. I bet they are perfectly capable in the kitchen and laundry; otherwise, surely they would have starved to death between leaving home and getting shacked up? At the very least their clothes would have been so revoltingly smelly they'd never have made it to the altar. Newsflash: they are not useless, girls, they are just in a relationship that is gleefully - even proudly , for Pete's sake - based on deep stereotypes, which at least one of you is not willing to change.

Secondly, at what point is it cool for these martyr wives to be proud of being married to couch potatoes? If it were me, I'd be keeping my mouth well and truly shut until I'd had a few little matrimonial discussions of an egalitarian theme.

Most of all I can’t stand it when women refer to their men as being ‘house trained’ (or not). What happened to those vows of respect, girls? Did you think it was just old-fashioned twaddle that was not relevant anymore? More to the point, do you think you can really demand any kind of respect for yourself, when you give him so damn little?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

... that's a big air-punch from me.

Isn't this apparent fashion for idle spousal-burning one-upmanship fascinating!

On the rare occasion that I manage both to stay in the conversation and bother with a riposte, I flip a coin to decide between the following:

1: Well, why didn't you marry/move in with/press-gang someone you liked?

2: So leave - and stop using the hapless sap as a poor excuse for your own existence!

Both of which, of course, are a sure-fire way to cop the old-faithful "YOU'LL understand when YOU live with someone. Don't worry, it'll happen when you least expect it ..."

GAG

4:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey! you need bras? i have bras! i think their around the 12 d mark, basically new, a couple of lacy feel-like-a-woman ones too. i'll check if you're intersted
helen.

5:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home